Subject: bug#21874: 25.0.50; point-entered no longer works

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 17:28:53 -0400

>   (defun turn-on-cursor-intangible-mode ()
>     "Turns on cursor-intangible-mode."
>     (interactive)
>     (cursor-intangible-mode 1))

   (defalias 'turn-on-cursor-intangible-mode #'cursor-intangible-mode)

would work just as well.  Better yet: just use `cursor-intangible-mode'
instead and skip turn-on-cursor-intangible-mode altogether, since it's
just redundant.

> 3. C-x C-f C-x h (The read-only portion also gets selected!)

The minibuffer is not placed in any kind of major mode, so it doesn't
enable any globalized minor mode when you enter it.

> 5. C-x C-f C-x h (NOW the read-only portion does not get selected as
> expected)

This is probably because I introduced minibuffer-inactive-mode which
does setup a major mode in the minibuffer, tho not when you enter it, but
when you leave it, so the globalized mode ends up activated in the
*next* minibuffer.

> Also, would it be wise to enable cursor-intangible-mode globally? If not,
> how can we have that mode always enabled in the minibuffer?

(add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook #'cursor-intangible-mode)

> If we want Emacs to "do the right thing", should the above be made default?

I personally like the fact that I can occasionally move into the prompt
and copy portions of it like any other chunk of text, so I think we
should generally (by default) refrain from making text intangible except
when *really* needed.

        Stefan

PS: What's with the `point-entered' in the subject?