Subject: bug#21848: closed (Re: bug#21848: Bug in emacs: filling a certain region with (fill-region) causes a certain character to disapear)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 00:25:03 +0000

Your bug report

#21848: Bug in emacs: filling a certain region with (fill-region) causes a certain character to disapear

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21848: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21848
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21848: Bug in emacs: filling a certain region with (fill-region) causes a certain character to disapear
From: Xue Fuqiao <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 08:24:27 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Closing.

Subject: Bug in emacs: filling a certain region with (fill-region) causes a certain character to disapear
From: Ruy Exel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 21:06:42 -0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Folks,

Sorry I cannot send e-mail from Emacs but I have tried to adhere to
the message it generated as best as I could.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

1) Load the attached text file (bug-in-gnu-emacs.txt)
2) Mark a region consisting of the first two lines, namely

| a |
| a

3) Observe that these two lines contain *three* vertical bars
4) Run the command "ESC-x fill-region"
5) Observe that thare are only *two* vertical bars now!

I also tested this in a much more recent Emacs build:
GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5) of
2015-03-07 on trouble, modified by Debian

In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.21)
 of 2013-10-25 on akateko, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i686-linux-gnu' '--build'
'i686-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
'--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
'build_alias=i686-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall
-DDEBIAN -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.utf8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.utf8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sha1 hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/sha1
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/wl/rfc2368 hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/mail/rfc2368
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/language/thai-word

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 sha1-el
hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug debug etags latexenc dired-x
face-remap cc-awk cc-mode cc-fonts cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs dired-aux tabify man assoc help-fns newcomment
tex-mode compile descr-text skeleton help-mode view multi-isearch
dabbrev ansi-color compare-w sh-script executable easy-mmode time
cus-edit easymenu cus-start cus-load wid-edit iso-transl cl cl-19
edmacro kmacro shell comint ring dired regexp-opt tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting font-render-setting
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)