Subject: Re: 25.0.50; emacs hebrew script bidi nikud rendering bug

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 20:24:26 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:

>> From: Benjamin Riefenstahl <[email-masked]>
>> When I use "FreeSerif", a small part of the problems go away, see the
>> attached screenshots.
>
> Emacs cannot compose characters unless they come from the same font.
> Are you sure the base characters and the diacriticals come from the
> same font, in those cases where the display is incorrect?

Right.  I checked that now.  For me the default configuration (emacs -Q)
uses "DejaVu Sans Mono" for numbers and spaces and "FreeMono" for
Hebrew, base characters as well as nikud.  After I call M-x
set-default-font RET FreeSerif RET, that font is used for all
characters.

@Mark, can you check that in your case "Droid Sans Mono" is actually
used for the Hebrew?  Put the cursor on some on the character in
question and do M-x describe-char RET, the font should be mentioned in
the resulting help text.

>> I suggest we move this bug to the m17n bugtracker at
>> <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=m17n>.
>
> A good idea, IMO.

Done, see <https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?46399>.  I put all
current correspondents on CC there, I hope that's o.k.  Otherwise I can
remove any of you again, I guess.  ;-)

I'll add what I found so far there.