Subject: Re: bug#21840: 24.5; semantic analysis of python files is broken by strings that end in backslash

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 11:46:06 +0100

Glyph Lefkowitz <[email-masked]> writes:

> Python string literals that end in a backslash cause Semantic's parser
> to halt and not recognize anything further in the buffer.  I personally
> ran across this because I frequently use helm-semantic-or-imenu, but can
> be demonstrated equally well by semantic-complete-jump-local or anything
> else that makes use of the buffer's symbol list.
>
> The trivial way to reproduce this is to put the string literal "\\" at
> the top of a Python buffer and then invoke semantic in one of the ways
> just mentioned and notice that nothing is picked up.  You can move the
> backslash literal down in the file and see every symbol up to the point
> where it is placed.

(This bug report unfortunately got no response at the time.)

Do you have a step-by-step recipe to reproduce this bug, starting from
"emacs -Q"?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no