Subject: Re: bug#21804: 25.0.50; file-notify-tests failure on Cygwin

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 19:47:03 +0100

Ken Brown <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Ken,

> It turns out that this isn't special to my system.  The emacs package
> on Cygwin requires libglib2.0_0, which requires gamin.  So the monitor
> on Cygwin will always be of type GFamFileMonitor.

Indeed, it happens also for me.

> Let me play with this a little more first.

I've tested in parallel today. The applied patch let all non-remote test
cases pass successfully for cygwin. There were some special timing
issues (for example, when a watch was removed), which should be solved
now.

There are other problems in the remote case. Mainly, I don't know a way
to determine, which backend is linked to
gvfs-directory-monitor. According to my tests, it behaves different when
running on a (remote) GNU/Linux machine, or a (remote) cygwin machine.

I've committed a patch to Tramp, which let us detect this program as
"gvfs-monitor-dir.exe" for cygwin. This is hackish, of course; but I
don't know it better. The appended patch let pass all remote test cases
for cygwin too, except file-notify-test06-many-events-remote and
file-notify-test08-watched-file-in-watched-dir-remote. For these two
test cases, there's always a loss of some events. I see no chance to fix
this also.

If you agree, I would commit the patch to the master branch, and I would
close bug#21804 then.

> Best regards,
> Ken

Best regards, Michael.