Subject: bug#21798: 25.0.50; [PATCH] Add support for retrieving paths to JSON elements

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 08:23:29 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > I happen to think that an advice with a short lifetime is okay, but yes, 
  > these are the guidelines.

The reason that Emacs sources should not use advice is that advice is
bad for debugging.  If you look at function foo's source code, it
won't tell you that advice is causing the function to do something not
in that source.

This problem occurs no matter how long the advice is on function foo.

The right thing to do, instead of using advice on foo, is to change
foo to call a hook, and put things in that hook.

This is better because the source code of foo will include code
to run the hook.  When you see that, you'll know you should check
what is in the hook.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (gnu.org, fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (internethalloffame.org)
Skype: No way! See stallman.org/skype.html.