Subject: RE: bug#21789: 25.0.50; Can' build Emacs (my first build since GIT migration)

From: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 14:26:41 +0100

Dear Eli,

----------------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 22:31:30 +0200
> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: bug#21789: 25.0.50; Can' build Emacs (my first build since GIT migration)
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
>
>> From: Vincent Belaïche <[email-masked]>
>> CC: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 19:17:28 +0100
>>
>> Thank you for your kind help. After some checking, it proved out that
>> file configure.ac contained CRLF EOL's.
>
> Ah, that's another gotcha: you should configure Git to checkout "as
> is". See the instructions in nt/INSTALL, near its beginning.
>

Well, I must admit that I hadn't read this file, I just used my same
usual script where I had replaced bzr instruction by equivalent git
instruction. And, as a matter of fact, I had:

 $ git config --system --get core.autocrlf
-| true

>> After doing some dos2unix on configure.ac, the ./autogen.sh runs
>> normally and I get a configure script --- which I have not yet used.
>
> If you run dos2unix or a similar program on these files, Git will
> think they are modified. So this is a bad idea.

That was just a test, I re-checked-it-out just after doing this.

> Instead, remove the Git repository, re-install Git as instructed in
> nt/INSTALL, then re-clone the repository again.

Ok, I will do that. It surprises me that you need to tamper with the git
system setting that affect all the projects using git, just for the sake
of one project. I am using git also for fmtcount and I have some changes
pending, so I think that I will have to restore the original system
settings when I come back to fmtcount. That is not a very practical
solution.

I am quite novice with git, but just wondering whether it isn't possible
to get the same effect with affecting emacs only by writing in the local
config file (emacs/.git/config) some setting that would supersede the
global and system settings, e.g. you would have

[core]
autocrlf =

in the local config.

Another idea would be to set the eol attribute explicitly in the local
.gitattributes, which should not be too difficult using a wildcard.

VBR,
    Vincent Belaïche