Subject: bug#21784: Old XZ tarballs

From: Lasse Collin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 16:24:27 +0200

On 2015-11-02 Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> No problem.  It is best if URLs remain stable over time, but I
> understand there are cost constraints related to hosting.
> 
> Maybe an option for you in the longer term would be to use a service
> such as savannah.gnu.org, which could host tarballs virtually forever
> and which is mirrored.

Maybe, I had already thought about that some time ago. On the other
hand I have felt that it's weird if upstreams should do such things
solely because package managers in some source-based distros use
upstreams as their primary source of packages (I don't count Guix into
this category). Over half of my bandwidth quota is used for serving old
xz versions and that somehow that doesn't feel right, but perhaps it's
just me being weird.

5.0.4.tar.gz and .bz2 are up again on tukaani.org so at least Guix
shouldn't have issues now because of me.

Thanks! :-)

-- 
Lasse Collin  |  IRC: Larhzu @ IRCnet & Freenode