Subject: Re: bug#21784: cannot install icecat!

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 21:20:19 +0200

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 07:30:39 +0000
"-=}\\*/{=-" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> starting download of
> `/gnu/store/0d7xnp3nji2mi4cw4jmd3mzbpija9a5a-xz-5.0.4.tar.gz' from `
> http://tukaani.org/xz/xz-5.0.4.tar.gz'...
> ERROR: download failed "http://tukaani.org/xz/xz-5.0.4.tar.gz" 403
> "Forbidden"
> failed to download
> "/gnu/store/0d7xnp3nji2mi4cw4jmd3mzbpija9a5a-xz-5.0.4.tar.gz" from "
> http://tukaani.org/xz/xz-5.0.4.tar.gz"
> builder for
> `/gnu/store/1y6b3ar37ff4q16714m77d56giv01cr5-xz-5.0.4.tar.gz.drv' failed to
> produce output path
> `/gnu/store/0d7xnp3nji2mi4cw4jmd3mzbpija9a5a-xz-5.0.4.tar.gz'

from tukaani.org/xz:

Important

Availability of .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 files of certain old XZ Utils versions
have been temporary suspended because they are consume too much of the web
hosting bandwidth quota. The files will be restored in November 2015, but
further changes may be needed if the problem persist. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

It would be nice if developers of source-based distributions had their own
mirrors from where the users' computers would download the source packages.
It's not good if a package manager on every user's machine downloads the
source package from the upstream site. 

If we didn't need xz to unpack the tarball we could switch it. 5.0.4 is
pretty old, is that for the bootstrap?

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted