Subject: Re: bug#21784: cannot install icecat!

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 21:51:02 +0200

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 19:30:37 +0000
"-=}\\*/{=-" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> hi... :)
> i'm just a gun fan...

I think most of us are GNU fans too, welcome!
 
> i use linux since 2000, debian.
> had a try with nixos, then i found guix.
> i' running it on top of jessie to use icecat as richard stallman suggests.
> 
> i'm doing it for the kick's of it.
> i barely really understand what you say.

Sorry, I that really wasn't my intention. I saw the version was old and my
first thought was to update it to a later version.

> i just want to use icecat and get acquainted with the new gnu system and
> integrate it well along with debian... for now.
> 
> []r.
> 

It turns out that hydra, the automated build server for guix, has a copy of
xz that you can download if you authorize hydra to provide substitutions.
With a copy of hydra.gnu.org.pub, the command is `sudo guix archive
--authorize hydra.gnu.org.pub`. After that, instead of building everything
locally, your computer will first check to see if hydra has already built a
package and you can just download it.

Feel free to ask anything and we'll try to help out :)