Subject: bug#21775: 24.5; Dissapearing frame

From: Casey Webster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 15:57:42 +0000

I have an intermittent problem where a GUI emacs frame disappears. The
trigger for this is seeminly random and has varied between

- - moving the mouse completely unrelated to the emacs frame
- - moving X focus outside emacs
- - moving X focus inside emacs
- - clicking the menu-bar
- - moving the mouse outside the GUI frame

The frame disappears and neither it or its window decorations are drawn.
The X window is still listed as existing, it is still in the task bar
and I can query it with wmctrl.  Additionally, I can toggle the the X
window's minimization/maximization.  When i maximize it through
interaction with the taskbar, I can see that the emacs frame is drawn
momentarily and then disappears again.  It is so momentary that I often
only see a flash on the screen but ocassionaly can see some of the emacs
frame for a split second.

When X windows indicates the emacs frame is
"visible" and has focus, I can interact with the frame.  For example, if
the disapearing frame was an emacsclient, I can connect another
emacsclient to the daemon and interact with the frame.  If I give the
invisible frame X focus and type into it, I can see in the other frame
that keypresses and mouseclicks into the invisible frame behave as if
the frame were visisble.  From emacs and X perspectives the frame is
there, it is just not being drawn.

I have also posted this issue at
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/14005/emacs-frame-disappearing
where a few people have indicated it happens to them.  I experience this
on Gentoo Linux with the awesomewm window manager, someone else is
experiencing it on Redhat with the Gnome DE.  Yet another experiences
this on Mac OS X (though they did not specify if it was the X11 or not).

The trigger to reproduce this for me is:

- - create a GUI frame by any method (with or without -Q option)
- - work normally for some period of time between minutes and weeks
- - observe a disappearing frame.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.13)
 of 2015-08-01 on convect
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.117010
00
System Description:	NAME=Gentoo

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking
 --disable-silent-rules --libdir=/usr/lib64 --program-suffix=-emacs-24
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-gameuser=:gamestat --without-compress-install
 --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-acl --with-dbus --with-gnutls
 --with-gpm --without-hesiod --without-kerberos --without-kerberos5
 --without-xml2 --without-selinux --without-wide-int --with-zlib
 --with-sound=alsa --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf
 --with-gsettings --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-gif --with-jpeg
 --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm --with-imagemagick
 --with-xft --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.5 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2 -pipe
 -ggdb' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-march=native -O2 -pipe -ggdb
 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,--as-needed''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
ad-handle-definition: `tramp-read-passwd' got redefined
Turn on helm-projectile key bindings
`epa-file' already enabled
Emacs startup time: 1 seconds.
Loading /home/casey/.emacs.d/custom-linux.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/home/casey/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20151024.2233/helm-multi-match hides
/home/casey/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-core-20151024.2233/helm-multi-match
/home/casey/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode-20151012.726/cmake-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake/cmake-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils winner
helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug eldoc linum rainbow-delimiters
Casey-theme init-org init-auctex epa-file epa derived epg
git-gutter-fringe fringe-helper git-gutter better-defaults paren
autorevert filenotify saveplace ido init-helm helm-projectile projectile
grep ibuf-ext ibuffer dash helm-mode helm-files rx image-dired tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete format-spec dired-x
dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags
helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info bookmark pp helm-locate helm-grep
helm-regexp helm-plugin helm-external helm-net browse-url xml url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars mailcap helm-utils compile comint ansi-color
ring helm-help helm-types semantic/db-mode semantic/db eieio-base
semantic/idle semantic/format ezimage semantic/tag-ls semantic/find
semantic/ctxt semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag
semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet helm-config helm-easymenu
async-bytecomp async helm-aliases helm easy-mmode cl-macs gv helm-source
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core
helm-multi-match helm-lib dired advice help-fns
assemblage-theme-autoloads tex-site f90-interface-browser-autoloads
github-theme-autoloads late-night-theme-autoloads finder-inf
nzenburn-theme-autoloads qsimpleq-theme-autoloads steady-theme-autoloads
subatomic-enhanced-theme-autoloads tron-theme-autoloads info easymenu
edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib package epg-config site-gentoo
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 266077 11497)
 (symbols 48 36393 0)
 (miscs 40 117 129)
 (strings 32 67620 10903)
 (string-bytes 1 2017791)
 (vectors 16 30003)
 (vector-slots 8 615046 9464)
 (floats 8 166 303)
 (intervals 56 416 0)
 (buffers 960 14)
 (heap 1024 55149 3208))