Subject: Re: bug#2176: Observations on the splash screen - and signal-process

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 10:12:38 +0800

[email-masked] (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> 1) Shouldn't "Meta-x" be "M-x" here ?
> 2) Couldn't we make this a "clickable" "Recover Session" button
>    like the Open file... instead of the text?
> 3) Maybe rephrase it to something like:

Done in trunk, thanks.

> Maybe emacs should check the saved sessions and filter out the
> currently running sessions ...  
> A simple (signal-process PID 0) would suffice -- unfortunately, the
> doc string for signal-process does not describe the return value
> in this case (currently it is 0 if the process exists and -1 otherwise
> - but better return values would probably be t or nil).

I don't think this would be strictly correct, since pids are reusable.
Anyway, it seems like over-engineering.

> Finally, wouldn't it make sense if (signal-process PID nil) checked
> for the existense of process PID - using signal 0 is probably
> non-portable.

I don't think it makes sense to overload `signal-process' for this
purpose; there is already `process-attributes'.