Subject: bug#21750: closed (Re: bug#21750: show-paren-mode erroneously highlights the left margin)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 19:09:01 +0000

Your bug report

#21750: show-paren-mode erroneously highlights the left margin

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21750: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21750
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21750: show-paren-mode erroneously highlights the left margin
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 21:07:58 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I think this bug can be closed now.

Subject: show-paren-mode erroneously highlights the left margin
From: Hinrik Örn Sigurðsson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 19:28:24 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi there. I discovered that under certain conditions, show-paren-mode
will highlight the entire left margin of the window when one of the
parentheses is located at the beginning of a line. If you do "M-x
eval-buffer" on the following code, it will reproduce the issue in
emacs -Q (in both the terminal and GUI):

    (linum-mode)
    (custom-set-faces
      '(linum ((t (:foreground "black" :weight bold)))))
    (show-paren-mode)

It happens when linum-mode (or nlinum-mode) is active, but only if the
'linum face has been customized. Attached is a screenshot
demonstrating the overzealous highlighting.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.9)
 of 2015-03-21 on kissel, modified by Debian
System Description:    Ubuntu 15.04

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  guide-key-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-autoresize-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-centered-cursor-mode: t
  centered-cursor-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  xterm-title-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC ] l T e r m i n a l ESC \ ESC ] L T e r m i n a
l ESC \ ESC [ > 1 ; 3 8 0 3 ; 0 c ESC x r e p o r t
RET

Recent messages:
Loading 00debian-vars...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50autoconf.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...
Loading debian-ispell...
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-default.el (source)...done
Loading debian-ispell...done
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /home/hinrik/.emacs.d/state/recentf...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)

Load-path shadows:
/home/hinrik/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20151023.1317/helm-multi-match hides
/home/hinrik/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-core-20151021.628/helm-multi-match
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils helm-command xterm
helm-company helm-elisp helm-eval edebug eldoc company-files
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags etags company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-capf company-cmake
company-xcode company-clang company-semantic company-eclim
company-template company-css company-nxml company-bbdb company org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
finder-inf perl6-mode derived perl6-indent smie perl6-font-lock pcase
perl6-detect guide-key s ucs-normalize popwin helm-projectile projectile
grep ibuf-ext ibuffer dash helm-mode helm-files rx image-dired tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete format-spec dired-x
dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers helm-elscreen helm-tags
helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info bookmark pp helm-locate helm-grep
helm-regexp helm-plugin helm-external helm-net browse-url xml url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars mailcap helm-utils compile comint ansi-color
helm-help helm-types helm cl-macs gv helm-source eieio eieio-core
helm-multi-match helm-lib dired saveplace savehist centered-cursor-mode
phi-search phi-search-core byte-opt advice help-fns winner ring
elec-pair delsel cua-base drag-stuff which-func imenu xterm-title
xterm-frobs edmacro kmacro disp-table literal-tango-theme paren recentf
tree-widget wid-edit use-package diminish bytecomp byte-compile cconv
bind-key easy-mmode cl-loaddefs cl-lib slime-autoloads info easymenu
package epg-config time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 414985 304942)
 (symbols 48 39860 0)
 (miscs 40 93 258)
 (strings 32 85567 195014)
 (string-bytes 1 2489233)
 (vectors 16 58284)
 (vector-slots 8 1593857 168427)
 (floats 8 212 1024)
 (intervals 56 1169 0)
 (buffers 960 13)
 (heap 1024 71776 39181))