Subject: bug#21750: show-paren-mode erroneously highlights the left margin

From: Hinrik Örn Sigurðsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 01:53:34 +0200

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 10:22 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> You can work around this in this case if you modify your face
> customization as follows:
>
>     (custom-set-faces
>       '(linum ((t (:foreground "black" :background "white" :weight bold)))))
>
> IOW, don't let the 'linum' face inherit the background color from the
> surrounding text.

Unfortunately that doesn't work in my case. The desired background
color is pure black (#000000). However both "black" and "#000000"
result in Emacs choosing the 1st color of the terminal's 16-color
palette, even when running in 256-color mode. Though pure black is my
terminal's default background color (which is independent of the
palette), it is not present in the 16-color palette.

So there's no way of explicitly specifying this background color in
Emacs unless I change my terminal's color palette, which would affect
the appearance of other terminal programs.