Subject: RE: bug#21746: 24.5; purpose of dired-keep-marker-copy?

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:54:55 -0500

On Fri Oct 23 2015 Drew Adams wrote:
> What might be missing for you is this bit of info:
> `* c' lets you change the char that is used for a given
> mark.  So you can, for example, change all `C' marks at
> a given moment to, say, `*' marks, and then use any
> action on the marked files (which acts on `*'-marked
> files).  Or change it to `D' and then delete the flagged
> files.

Thank you, indeed I was missing this piece of info.  I am just
wondering: how often are you using this?  Is this a feature which
should be exposed to all emacs beginners?  If yes, it needs to be
documented better.

> Dunno how much of this is documented in the manual, but once you
> look at `C-h m' and then its mention of `* c', you can pretty much
> imagine how it can be put to good use.

Yes, you are probably right.  dired-change-marks bound to `* c'
seems to be the command that needs to be advertised better in order
to make these marks useful.  (In my every-day usage of dired,
I still do not see actual benefits from this feature.)

Roland