Subject: bug#21738: 25.0.50; eww freezes/crashes at times

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:01:30 -0400

Thanks Eli.

> This indicates that Emacs hangs inside Imagemagick code, trying to
> display one of the images on that page.  Can you build Emacs without
> Imagemagick support, and see if that fixes the problem?

eww works fine without Imagemagick.
But then I lose all the emacs features that need Imagemagick (like
formula image rendering in org-> latex exports).

Does the backtrace give a hint to what could have gone wrong with the
Imagemagick build?
What Imagemagick version are you using?

Does this error hint anything?

> emacs: Memory allocation failed `No such file or directory' @ fatal/tiff.c/UnregisterTIFFImage/2077

> Also, you originally said that "emacs -Q" doesn't exhibit this
> problem, but now you've succeeded in reproducing it in "emacs -Q" as
> well.  What did you need to do in order to succeed reproducing this in
> "emacs -Q"?

I usually use eww to open few work internal websites which are
autogenerated with an SVG plot and a huge HTML table. I have seen
those pages to open fine on emacs -Q but fail to load *sometimes* on
my emacs with my config loaded.

It just happens that yesterday I tried opening braveclojure.com in eww
and it froze my emacs and so I sent that email to emacs-devel. I
simply assumed that it will open fine on emacs -Q. But now we know
that it froze my emacs -Q too. I have consistently been able to freeze
emacs -Q (built with Imagemagick) when I open that braveclojure.com
site on eww.

--
Kaushal Modi