Subject: bug#21738: closed (Re: bug#21738: 25.0.50; eww freezes/crashes at times)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 22:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#21738: rhel 6.6 imagemagick freeze/crash

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21738: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21738
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21738: 25.0.50; eww freezes/crashes at times
From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
To: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 18:50:21 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> This means that compiling ImageMagick without threads support (./configure --without-threads) should change... something.

You are doing such a great job by just "guessing" :) That worked! This
is awesome! :D
Now I see Imagemagick resizing the images on that web-page on doing,

(eww "http://www.braveclojure.com/basic-emacs")

Earlier the images did not get re-sized when I used
--without-imagemagick when building emacs.

Also to confirm, here is my build info:

Built on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

Configure options: --prefix=/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/master
'CPPFLAGS=-fgnu89-inline -I/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include
-I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0'
'CXXFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0' 'LDFLAGS=-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib
-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64 -ggdb3'

Features: XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF
GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11

I built Imagemagick 6.9.2-4 with the --without-threads configure option.

Thanks once again for this help!

-- 
Kaushal Modi

Subject: 25.0.50; eww freezes/crashes at times
From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:12:01 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi all,

I have noticed that eww opens web pages fine in emacs -Q.

But when using my emacs config, my emacs gets bogged down when I try to
open certain web pages in eww. A recent example is
http://www.braveclojure.com/basic-emacs/.

By "bogged down", I mean that once I do M-x eww and yank that link, whole
emacs would freeze and I would need to repeatedly hit C-g to abort whatever
was going on in the background. A few times, I had to resort to kill -9
from the terminal. This issue does not happen in emacs -Q. And also this
issue is not something recent.. I have seen this to happen on/off only for
certain web pages, ever since I started using eww (which is awesome!).

Before I start to gradually comment out my emacs init to debug this, I was
curious if anyone else saw this too and found any of the common minor mode
packages to be the culprit.

I built emacs from the latest commit on trunk without the optimization
flags and followed the below steps.

- cd src/
- gdb ./emacs
- r -Q
- M-x eww http://www.braveclojure.com/basic-emacs

The emacs frame froze after that. I couldn't click anywhere in the frame
and none of the bindings (including repeated C-g) worked.

Then from the terminal where I had gdb running, I hit C-z in the (gdb)
prompt and then bt.

Below is backtrace from gdb.

Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
Reading symbols from /home/kmodi/downloads/git/emacs/src/emacs...done.
SIGINT is used by the debugger.
Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from
terminal]
DISPLAY = :1
TERM = xterm-256color
Breakpoint 1 at 0x555b81: file emacs.c, line 371.
Temporary breakpoint 2 at 0x5793d6: file sysdep.c, line 905.
(gdb) r -Q
Starting program: /home/kmodi/downloads/git/emacs/src/emacs -Q
Missing separate debuginfo for /home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64/libgif.so.4
Try: yum --enablerepo='*-debug*' install
/usr/lib/debug/.build-id/4d/d406f2679fcf6adf281479e95a0ae8f66c7c4e.debug
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread 0x7fffed737700 (LWP 39840)]

(emacs:39833): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_schema_source_lookup:
assertion 'source != NULL' failed
[New Thread 0x7fffe5c21700 (LWP 39876)]
emacs: Memory allocation failed `No such file or directory' @
fatal/tiff.c/UnregisterTIFFImage/2077.
^Z
Program received signal SIGTSTP, Stopped (user).
0x0000003a9840eb9e in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgomp.so.1
Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install
GConf2-2.28.0-6.el6.x86_64 ORBit2-2.14.17-5.el6.x86_64
alsa-lib-1.0.22-3.el6.x86_64 atk-1.30.0-1.el6.x86_64
bzip2-libs-1.0.5-7.el6_0.x86_64 dbus-libs-1.2.24-7.el6_3.x86_64
expat-2.0.1-11.el6_2.x86_64 fftw-3.2.1-3.1.el6.x86_64
gdk-pixbuf2-2.24.1-5.el6.x86_64 glibc-2.12-1.149.el6_6.5.x86_64
gmp-4.3.1-7.el6_2.2.x86_64 gtk2-2.24.23-6.el6.x86_64
gtk2-engines-2.18.4-5.el6.x86_64 libICE-1.0.6-1.el6.x86_64
libSM-1.2.1-2.el6.x86_64 libX11-1.6.0-2.2.el6.x86_64
libXau-1.0.6-4.el6.x86_64 libXcomposite-0.4.3-4.el6.x86_64
libXcursor-1.1.14-2.1.el6.x86_64 libXdamage-1.1.3-4.el6.x86_64
libXext-1.3.2-2.1.el6.x86_64 libXfixes-5.0.1-2.1.el6.x86_64
libXft-2.3.1-2.el6.x86_64 libXi-1.7.2-2.2.el6.x86_64
libXinerama-1.1.3-2.1.el6.x86_64 libXpm-3.5.10-2.el6.x86_64
libXrandr-1.4.1-2.1.el6.x86_64 libXrender-0.9.8-2.1.el6.x86_64
libXt-1.1.4-6.1.el6.x86_64 libacl-2.2.49-6.el6.x86_64
libattr-2.4.44-7.el6.x86_64 libcroco-0.6.2-5.el6.x86_64
libgomp-4.4.7-11.el6.x86_64 libgsf-1.14.15-5.el6.x86_64
libjpeg-turbo-1.2.1-3.el6_5.x86_64 librsvg2-2.26.0-14.el6.x86_64
libselinux-2.0.94-5.8.el6.x86_64 libtiff-3.9.4-10.el6_5.x86_64
libuuid-2.17.2-12.18.el6.x86_64 libxcb-1.9.1-2.el6.x86_64
libxml2-2.7.6-14.el6_5.2.x86_64 ncurses-libs-5.7-3.20090208.el6.x86_64
pango-1.28.1-10.el6.x86_64 sssd-client-1.11.6-30.el6.x86_64
xz-libs-4.999.9-0.5.beta.20091007git.el6.x86_64 zlib-1.2.3-29.el6.x86_64
(gdb) bt
#0  0x0000003a9840eb9e in ?? () from /usr/lib64/libgomp.so.1
#1  0x00007ffff60875f8 in MagickCoreTerminus ()
   from /home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib/libMagickCore-6.Q16.so.2
#2  0x00007ffff604a584 in DefaultFatalErrorHandler ()
   from /home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib/libMagickCore-6.Q16.so.2
#3  0x00007ffff604adb2 in CatchException () from
/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib/libMagickCore-6.Q16.so.2
#4  0x00007ffff621f6c8 in UnregisterTIFFImage ()
   from /home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib/libMagickCore-6.Q16.so.2
#5  0x00007ffff60f6580 in UnregisterStaticModules ()
   from /home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib/libMagickCore-6.Q16.so.2
#6  0x00007ffff6087638 in MagickCoreTerminus ()
   from /home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib/libMagickCore-6.Q16.so.2
#7  0x0000000000692ac9 in imagemagick_load_image (f=0x12afcb0,
img=0x1dc7f20,
    contents=0x1e72668 "\211PNG\r\n\032\n", size=134459, filename=0x0) at
image.c:8797
#8  0x0000000000692c9c in imagemagick_load (f=0x12afcb0, img=0x1dc7f20) at
image.c:8850
#9  0x0000000000688486 in lookup_image (f=0x12afcb0, spec=30372019) at
image.c:1751
#10 0x0000000000686cd7 in Fimage_metadata (spec=30372019, frame=0) at
image.c:929
#11 0x00000000005f847b in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffff7358) at
eval.c:2653
#12 0x000000000063c363 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=11206404,
vector=11206437, maxdepth=14,
    args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x0) at bytecode.c:880
#13 0x00000000005f8f7f in funcall_lambda (fun=11206341, nargs=1,
arg_vector=0xaaff25) at eval.c:2876
#14 0x00000000005f86f2 in Ffuncall (nargs=2, args=0x7fffffff7878) at
eval.c:2699
#15 0x000000000063c363 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=25447380,
vector=19937781, maxdepth=38,
    args_template=0, nargs=0, args=0x0) at bytecode.c:880
#16 0x00000000005f8f7f in funcall_lambda (fun=19934037, nargs=3,
arg_vector=0x13039f5) at eval.c:2876

Below follows the auto generated data by M-x report-emacs-bug

=================================================

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2015-10-22
Repository revision: d4352f813a0703cc7f7a873525131b272ef0c105
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60900000
System Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 6.6
(Santiago)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/6/emacs/master_debug
 'CPPFLAGS=-fgnu89-inline -I/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include
 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0'
 'CXXFLAGS=-ggdb3 -O0' 'LDFLAGS=-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib
 -L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib64 -ggdb3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 81455 6460)
 (symbols 48 19396 0)
 (miscs 40 43 111)
 (strings 32 12860 4655)
 (string-bytes 1 377992)
 (vectors 16 11419)
 (vector-slots 8 426882 4822)
 (floats 8 136 46)
 (intervals 56 220 0)
 (buffers 976 12)
 (heap 1024 13206 767))

--
Kaushal Modi