Subject: bug#21727: closed (Re: bug#21727: Tramp hangs in Windows)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 20:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#21727: Tramp hangs in Windows

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21727: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21727
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21727: Tramp hangs in Windows
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Arni Magnusson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 22:56:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 21727 notabug

Arni Magnusson <[email-masked]> writes:

> What happens when I type ssh on my Windows machines is that it invokes
> some random ssh program that happens to be on my machines, but doesn't
> support the options that Linux users might expect. In other words,
> calling 'ssh' on a Windows machine with some options will result in an
> undefined and unpredictable behavior - in my case, hanging.
>
>> An alternative could be to install Emacs 25.0.50. This works pretty
>> stable, and Tramp has changed its test to be used w/o DNS. You find
>> weekly snapshots at <https://sourceforge.net/projects/emacs-bin/>.
>
> That's it. Emacs 25 loads Tramp without getting tangled up in the
> random ssh program that's installed on my machines. I'm sold.

Thanks for your tests, so it isn't a Tramp bug. I'm closing this report.

> Thanks for your help in identifying and solving the problem,
>
> Arni

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: Tramp hangs in Windows
From: Arni Magnusson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 18:24:22 +0000 (UTC)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The official Windows builds of Emacs 24.4 and 24.5 hang when I run

   M-x load-library tramp [RET]

Earlier Emacs versions (24.3, 24.2, 24.1, 23.4) do not have this problem. 
To get Emacs out of the frozen state, I can either kill some cmd.exe 
subprocesses or kill Emacs itself.

I get the same behavior on Windows XP and Windows 7, and I'm invoking 
Emacs with -Q factory settings. Some changes between 24.3 and 24.4 are 
probably causing the problem I'm having.

What I'm after is not to get Tramp functionality in Windows, but simply to 
run Emacs commands that do some Tramp checks. These functions run fine on 
the Linux side but hang in Windows. As far as I can tell, load-library 
tramp is intended to run in Emacs in Windows, like in earlier versions. My 
WinXP and Win7 machines are quite differently configured from each other, 
so I hope this problem is reproducible.

Thanks,

Arni