Subject: Re: bug#21727: Tramp hangs in Windows

From: Arni Magnusson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 12:10:41 +0000 (UTC)

Thank you for looking into this, Michael.

You are right, this problem is machine-specific. I tried loading Tramp in 
Emacs 24.5 on my colleague's Windows 7 laptop (next door office) and it 
works.

Alas, I'm not able to determine what is improper about my DNS settings, if 
that is the case. All settings seem to be set to default (obtain DNS 
server addresss automatically) and no network-related applications show 
any symptoms of improper DNS settings. They all work smoothly (Putty, 
wget, Firefox, Skype, etc.), both on the wireless at home and the ethernet 
at work. As a simple test, I tried unplugging the ethernet cable to go 
offline, but Tramp still hangs.

My best workaround at present is to use Emacs 24.3, but that's not a very 
good long-term solution...

The Linux commands in bug thread 20015 do not apply to diagnose the 
problem in native Windows. Can you suggest some test I can run to analyze 
what is causing the problem?

Thanks,

Arni

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Arni Magnusson <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> Hi Arni,
>
>> The official Windows builds of Emacs 24.4 and 24.5 hang when I run
>>
>>   M-x load-library tramp [RET]
>>
>> Earlier Emacs versions (24.3, 24.2, 24.1, 23.4) do not have this 
>> problem. To get Emacs out of the frozen state, I can either kill some 
>> cmd.exe subprocesses or kill Emacs itself.
>
> There were bug reports 20015 and 21504, which have reported similar 
> problems. The problem was improper DNS setting on the local host.
>
> Could it be, that you suffer from the same problem?
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Arni
>
> Best regards, Michael.
>