Subject: Re: bug#21720: Building gcc fails at target s-attrtab

From: Aljosha Papsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 22:56:04 +0200

On 23.10.2015 01:04, Aljosha Papsch wrote:
> It got 4GB of RAM but none of swap. dmesg really shows something, 
> please see attachment. I'll try hooking up some swap and see how it goes.

I hooked up an old 4GB swap partition and during the build process it 
was used a bit. This time, the build process got a little further, but 
it got stuck again at another phase. Please see the attached build log. 
The error message is "No space left on device", though the file system 
on wich guix runs has 85GB left.

Dmesg isn't helpful this time, an error should appear between these two 
messages:
[17910.001324] Adding 3948540k swap on /dev/mapper/fed-swap. Priority:-1 
extents:1 across:3948540k FS
[18118.026198] wlp0s26u1u2: AP 00:00:00:00:00:00 changed bandwidth, new 
config is 2412 MHz, width 1 (2412/0 MHz)

For the fun of it, I plotted the memory consumption using gnuplot. While 
the build process was busy, I captured memory usage with "free -s1 > 
memory.log". A little scheme helped transform that into a data file for 
gnuplot. The x axis is the datum, e.g. nth capture. Near the end, free 
memory goes up sharply. This is where the build process failed and the 
machine went idle.

Aljosha