Subject: bug#2172: ico bug on Windows

From: David Robinow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 01:35:28 -0500

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Chong Yidong wrote:
>>
>> David Robinow <[email-masked]> has reported a build failure on MS
>> Visual Studio, apparently due to change in the Windows icon file format.
>>
>
> I think it is time to stop caring about MS Visual Studio. GCC has been
> available for Windows for close to 10 years now.
>
You won't get any argument from me. I only compile with it because
nobody else seemed to. I use gcc on three of my four Windows machines.

I have created an icon that works, sort of. I used png2ico.exe (GPL)
from http://www.winterdrache.de/freeware/png2ico/
It looked good enough on my XP system, but not so great on Vista
compared to the original. Perhaps it can be included as an option for
use with MSVC.
After overwriting emacs.ico the compile works fine. (Of course, it's a
simple matter to change the desktop shortcuts back to the original
icon)