Subject: bug#21718: 24.5; Backgrounding emacsclient hangs emacs

From: Ed Avis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 08:27:04 +0000

On 2015-10-21, 18:44, "Glenn Morris" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> % emacsclient foo
>> C-x b RET                  (switch back to shell buffer)
>> M-x comint-stop-subjob RET
>>
>> I expected this to background the emacsclient process within the shell
>> window. 
>
>It sends SIGSTOP.

There's more to it than that.  'killall -STOP emacsclient' works fine and suspends the
emacsclient process as expected.  And C-c C-c in the shell buffer, sending SIGTERM to
the emacsclient process, also works.  What is comint-stop-subjob doing which is more than
just sending the SIGSTOP?

By the way, running emacsclient inside an emacs shell buffer is quite common for me.
For example on 'git commit' or 'git rebase' etc, which prompt for a log message.
Simple version control operations can be done from emacs itself with vc-mode or other
libraries, but sometimes you want to go to the shell and run the raw git commands.
The same is true of other version control systems.

-- 
Ed Avis <[email-masked]>
Please ignore autogenerated disclaimer below this point.

This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. Any retransmission, copying, disclosure or other use of, this information by persons other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material. This email is for information only and is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument. Wadhwani Asset Management LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership registered in England (OC303168) with registered office at 40 Berkeley Square, 3rd Floor, London, W1J 5AL. It is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.