Subject: bug#21714: closed (Re: bug#21714: [PATCH] Add multiframe image support to NS port (bug#21714))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 20:28:01 +0000

Your bug report

#21714: 25.0.50; image-metadata using Emacs --with-ns prevents *.gif animation.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21714: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21714
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21714: [PATCH] Add multiframe image support to NS port (bug#21714)
From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
To: "Charles A. Roelli" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 21:27:18 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 06:02:26PM +0200, Charles A. Roelli wrote:
> Thanks for adding this feature.  It's working on my end.

Thanks. It’s pushed to master now.
-- 
Alan Third

Subject: 25.0.50; image-metadata using Emacs --with-ns prevents *.gif animation.
From: Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 09:29:17 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When using Emacs built --with-ns on OSX 10.6.8, the function `image-metadata` returns `nil` when trying to animate a *.gif file with the built-in image-mode by pressing the return key.  I suspect it is because `valid_image_p` returns `nil`, but I do not know how to test that internal function.

When opening a *.gif image, Emacs successfully displays the first image in the series of multiple images.  Pressing the return key yields:  "No image animation."

OSX has its own built-in image support when building --with-ns, which is why I am able to see the first of the *.gif images.

(image-type-available-p 'gif) returns t, so I am fairly certain I have image support.

Animation works on Emacs for Windows, but not OSX.

Thanks,

Keith

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS appkit-1038.36 Version 10.6.8 (Build 10K549))
 of 2015-10-13
Repository revision: 6d6bf466477b004035a4314886e35214c6f8603b
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns --without-imagemagick --enable-checking=glyphs'

Configured features:
RSVG DBUS ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: C

Minor modes in effect:
  tb-mode: t
  sb-mode: t
  ml-mode: t
  sd-mode: t
  fl-mode: t
  bc-mode: t
  +-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent messages:
Type C-c C-c to view the image as text.
Wrote /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/.lock
Emacs:  image-metadata
*beep*
if: End of buffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail lawlist-ztree lawlist-ys lawlist-ws
lawlist-wl elmo-imap4 elmo-localdir modb-standard modb-legacy
elmo-internal elmo-flag mmelmo-imap mmelmo-buffer elsp-generic mel-u
ps-print ps-def lpr epg-config enriched lawlist-w3m doc-view jka-compr
image-mode ccl lawlist-vl lawlist-view lawlist-undo lawlist-txt
lawlist-tm lawlist-tex compare-w lawlist-tabbar lawlist-speedbar
lawlist-shell info esh-groups ehelp ange-ftp lawlist-sgml lawlist-sb
lawlist-saveplace lawlist-ruler lawlist-replace lawlist-rectangle
lawlist-re-builder lawlist-python skeleton lawlist-profiler
lawlist-print lawlist-php cl-seq cc-langs lawlist-perl lawlist-parens
lawlist-org lawlist-calendar org-agenda org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src
ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
find-func holidays hol-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
lawlist-neotree lawlist-movement lawlist-mouse lawlist-ml lawlist-misc
lawlist-messages lawlist-mc rect lawlist-markdown noutline outline
lawlist-lorem lawlist-ln lawlist-keymap lawlist-js cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
lawlist-ispell lawlist-isearch lawlist-imenu lawlist-ibuffer
lawlist-hl lawlist-grep lawlist-git ido seq vc-git vc vc-dispatcher
thingatpt time-stamp subr-x server nntp gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls utf7 netrc
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win nnoo mm-view
mml-smime smime dig mailcap log-edit message mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log ldap json
find-lisp ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util ediff diff-mode conf-mode autorevert filenotify
lawlist-framebufs lawlist-frame lawlist-fm lawlist-files zeroconf dbus
xml lawlist-env lawlist-elscreen lawlist-elisp lawlist-dv
lawlist-image lawlist-ds lawlist-dired dired format-spec lawlist-diff
lawlist-desktop frameset lawlist-debug lawlist-window debug
lawlist-css smie lawlist-compile rx lawlist-color lawlist-cm
lawlist-cc lawlist-font-lock cl-macs lawlist-calc lawlist-calc+
lawlist-bk lawlist-bc lawlist-bbdb gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils
wid-edit mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
mail-extr rfc822 timezone lawlist-minibuffer gv lawlist-auth gnus-util
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache lawlist-as lawlist-archive
lawlist-+ lawlist-lcl byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv
lawlist-help disp-table easy-mmode edmacro kmacro quail help-mode
easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib pcase derived advice shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring savehist time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese
eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2395843 198980)
 (symbols 48 89769 0)
 (miscs 40 1373 1067)
 (strings 32 212905 17549)
 (string-bytes 1 7685690)
 (vectors 16 44361)
 (vector-slots 8 1091868 14715)
 (floats 8 4334 755)
 (intervals 56 1101 110)
 (buffers 976 15))