Subject: Re: bug#21710: 25.0.50; self-insert-command before a folded outline inserts after the outline

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 20:12:10 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I get in Emacs 28 exactly what the OP describes.

[...]

>> On the other hand, I'm not sure quite what it's supposed to do if you
>> type after the dots.
>
> He was typing _before_ the dots.  He said "move to the end of foo".

Oh, before the dots...

OK, hide the sublevels and then hit "t" twice.  I get:

* foo...t|
* bar...

Unhiding:

* foot
some textt
* bar
some text

So I'm not getting the "bartt"?

> But isn't that expected, given the way outline-minor-mode uses the
> invisible property?

Probably, but it's not ... good?  I have a vague feeling the correct
pre-advance/post-advance (or whatever they're called) properties on the
"..." could fix some of this.  But it's been a long time since I last
played with invisible text.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to experiment with putting the `display'
property over the hidden text (with "...") instead and see whether that
has fewer quirks.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no