Subject: 25.0.50; error while entering trivial Python program

From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 13:08:17 +0000

C-x C-f /tmp/wat.py RET

    M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET

    x = [ RET

That leads to this error:

    Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p
nil)

      python-indent-context()

      python-indent--calculate-indentation()

      python-indent-calculate-indentation(nil)

      python-indent-line(nil)

      python-indent-line-function()

      indent-according-to-mode()

      electric-indent-post-self-insert-function()

      self-insert-command(1)

      newline(nil 1)

      funcall-interactively(newline nil 1)

      call-interactively(newline nil nil)

      command-execute(newline)

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.3 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.0.0, NS appkit-1404.11
Version 10.11 (Build 15A284))

 of 2015-10-14

Repository revision: e0fa4e48c9e50b662e81dcceaa41c2842af69d6c

Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1404

Configured using:

 'configure --with-ns'

Configured features:

JPEG RSVG ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:

  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:

  global-hl-line-mode: t

  pyvenv-mode: t

  projectile-global-mode: t

  projectile-mode: t

  global-git-commit-mode: t

  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t

  shell-dirtrack-mode: t

  recentf-mode: t

  diff-auto-refine-mode: t

  ido-everywhere: t

  override-global-mode: t

  tooltip-mode: t

  global-eldoc-mode: t

  mouse-wheel-mode: t

  file-name-shadow-mode: t

  global-font-lock-mode: t

  font-lock-mode: t

  blink-cursor-mode: t

  auto-composition-mode: t

  auto-encryption-mode: t

  auto-compression-mode: t

  line-number-mode: t

  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:

guile is /usr/local/bin/guile

Making completion list... [2 times]

Starting Geiser REPL for guile ...

There is no ElDoc support in this buffer

Starting Geiser REPL for guile ... [2 times]

Guile REPL up and running!

Truncate long lines enabled

Mark set

(New file)

Can’t guess python-indent-offset, using defaults: 4

python-indent--calculate-indentation: Wrong type argument:
number-or-marker-p, nil

Load-path shadows:

/Users/erichanchrow/.emacs.d/elpa/shorten-20150306.517/shorten hides
/Users/erichanchrow/.emacs.d/elpa/tracking-20150724.1403/shorten

Features:

(shadow mail-extr emacsbug sendmail geiser-mode geiser-xref

geiser-chicken geiser-racket geiser-guile info-look geiser geiser-repl

geiser-image geiser-compile geiser-debug geiser-company geiser-doc

geiser-menu geiser-edit geiser-completion geiser-autodoc geiser-eval

geiser-connection tq geiser-syntax scheme geiser-log geiser-popup view

geiser-impl geiser-custom geiser-base vc-mtn vc-hg vc-dir ewoc js imenu

ix grapnel apropos github-browse-file url-handlers magit-extras sort

tabify org-table cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles

cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ag s ucs-normalize compare-w pulse

rect find-dired face-remap ruby-mode network-stream nsm starttls

url-http tls url-gw url-auth gravatar url-cache org-element org-rmail

org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view jka-compr

image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org org-macro org-footnote

org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp

ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint

ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar

cal-loaddefs wdired sh-script smie executable dired-aux ffap

markdown-mode noutline outline conf-mode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn

vc-cvs vc-rcs git-rebase linum dabbrev tramp-cache vc vc-dispatcher

warnings company-files company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags

company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-cmake

company-xcode company-clang company-eclim company-template company-css

company-nxml company-bbdb pcmpl-unix misearch multi-isearch hl-line

elisp-slime-nav bookmark twb-find-dired edit-list pp yasnippet

highlight-indentation flymake company elpy pyvenv elpy-refactor python

json files-x etags xref project cus-edit cus-start cus-load eww mm-url

gnus gnus-ems nnheader url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand

url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse

url-vars mailcap shr dom subr-x browse-url projectile thingatpt

magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect magit-remote magit-commit

magit-sequence magit magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff

smerge-mode magit-core magit-process magit-popup derived magit-mode

magit-git crm magit-section magit-utils git-commit log-edit message

rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231

rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader

pcvs-util add-log with-editor async-bytecomp async tramp-sh tramp

tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr

password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete format-spec

advice server dash ws-butler ssh recentf tree-widget wid-edit vc-git

diff-mode ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuf-macs dired-x dired ido seq grep compile

comint ansi-color ring find-func rx edmacro kmacro use-package diminish

cl bind-key easy-mmode finder-inf eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile

cl-extra help-mode cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib

go-mode-autoloads info package easymenu epg-config time-date mule-util

tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type

mwheel ns-win term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt

fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register

page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock

font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian

utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean

japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european

ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook

jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice

loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay

sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget

hashtable-print-readable backquote cocoa ns multi-tty

make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:

((conses 16 603861 145246)

 (symbols 48 58194 0)

 (miscs 40 537 1476)

 (strings 32 140250 14471)

 (string-bytes 1 3982516)

 (vectors 16 71456)

 (vector-slots 8 1756014 58978)

 (floats 8 490 1828)

 (intervals 56 11645 5482)

 (buffers 976 49))