Subject: 25.0.50; error while entering trivial Python program

From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 00:23:23 +0000

C-x C-f /tmp/wat.py RET
    M-x toggle-debug-on-error RET
    x = [ RET

That leads to this error:

    Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p
nil)
      python-indent-context()
      python-indent--calculate-indentation()
      python-indent-calculate-indentation(nil)
      python-indent-line(nil)
      python-indent-line-function()
      indent-according-to-mode()
      electric-indent-post-self-insert-function()
      self-insert-command(1)
      newline(nil 1)
      funcall-interactively(newline nil 1)
      call-interactively(newline nil nil)
      command-execute(newline)

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.3 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.0.0, NS appkit-1404.11
Version 10.11 (Build 15A284))
 of 2015-10-14
Repository revision: e0fa4e48c9e50b662e81dcceaa41c2842af69d6c
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1404
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns'

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  pyvenv-mode: t
  projectile-global-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
guile is /usr/local/bin/guile
Making completion list... [2 times]
Starting Geiser REPL for guile ...
There is no ElDoc support in this buffer
Starting Geiser REPL for guile ... [2 times]
Guile REPL up and running!
Truncate long lines enabled
Mark set
(New file)
Can’t guess python-indent-offset, using defaults: 4
python-indent--calculate-indentation: Wrong type argument:
number-or-marker-p, nil

Load-path shadows:
/Users/erichanchrow/.emacs.d/elpa/shorten-20150306.517/shorten hides
/Users/erichanchrow/.emacs.d/elpa/tracking-20150724.1403/shorten

Features:
(shadow mail-extr emacsbug sendmail geiser-mode geiser-xref
geiser-chicken geiser-racket geiser-guile info-look geiser geiser-repl
geiser-image geiser-compile geiser-debug geiser-company geiser-doc
geiser-menu geiser-edit geiser-completion geiser-autodoc geiser-eval
geiser-connection tq geiser-syntax scheme geiser-log geiser-popup view
geiser-impl geiser-custom geiser-base vc-mtn vc-hg vc-dir ewoc js imenu
ix grapnel apropos github-browse-file url-handlers magit-extras sort
tabify org-table cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ag s ucs-normalize compare-w pulse
rect find-dired face-remap ruby-mode network-stream nsm starttls
url-http tls url-gw url-auth gravatar url-cache org-element org-rmail
org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view jka-compr
image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp
ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs wdired sh-script smie executable dired-aux ffap
markdown-mode noutline outline conf-mode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn
vc-cvs vc-rcs git-rebase linum dabbrev tramp-cache vc vc-dispatcher
warnings company-files company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags
company-gtags company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-cmake
company-xcode company-clang company-eclim company-template company-css
company-nxml company-bbdb pcmpl-unix misearch multi-isearch hl-line
elisp-slime-nav bookmark twb-find-dired edit-list pp yasnippet
highlight-indentation flymake company elpy pyvenv elpy-refactor python
json files-x etags xref project cus-edit cus-start cus-load eww mm-url
gnus gnus-ems nnheader url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
url-vars mailcap shr dom subr-x browse-url projectile thingatpt
magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff
smerge-mode magit-core magit-process magit-popup derived magit-mode
magit-git crm magit-section magit-utils git-commit log-edit message
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log with-editor async-bytecomp async tramp-sh tramp
tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver shell pcomplete format-spec
advice server dash ws-butler ssh recentf tree-widget wid-edit vc-git
diff-mode ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuf-macs dired-x dired ido seq grep compile
comint ansi-color ring find-func rx edmacro kmacro use-package diminish
cl bind-key easy-mmode finder-inf eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra help-mode cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
go-mode-autoloads info package easymenu epg-config time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 603861 145246)
 (symbols 48 58194 0)
 (miscs 40 537 1476)
 (strings 32 140250 14471)
 (string-bytes 1 3982516)
 (vectors 16 71456)
 (vector-slots 8 1756014 58978)
 (floats 8 490 1828)
 (intervals 56 11645 5482)
 (buffers 976 49))