Subject: bug#21703: adding package archives after calling package-initialize lists all their packages as "new"

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 14:39:29 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> >> It's clearly a bug, and it's made worse in Emacs-27 where
> >> package-initialize is called automatically before reading ~/.emacs.
> >> IOW, I think "this" needs to be fixed before Emacs-27.1.
> >
> > I just installed a patch which should reduce the impact of this problem
> > in Emacs-27.1: the problem still occurs if you setq package-archives
> > after calling package-initialize, but at least you can now setq
> > package-archives in your ~/.emacs rather than having to do it in your
> > early-init.el.
>
> Is there more to be done here, or is this a sufficient solution to the
> issue?

If nothing more was changed, then the originally reported problem is not
fixed.  That behavior might still annoy or confuse people then.

Michael.