Subject: Re: bug#21702: shell-quote-argument semantics and safety

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 13:19:26 +0300

> From: [email-masked] (Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 11:50:23 +0200
> 
> I don't understand why you're trying to make everything so difficult.

I don't.  We just disagree, that's all.

I modified the doc string to add the missing information about the
shells for which the function was designed.  I don't think we should
add anything else, for the reasons I pointed out already.

> If for reasons unclear to me you absolutely refuse to accept these
> improvements to shell-quote-argument's documentation, I will just
> continue not using the function, because it cannot be trusted.

How can documentation make a function more trustworthy?  And what does
that have to do with this bug report?  This bug report is about the
documentation of shell-quote-argument, not whether it is safe and
should or should not be used.

I think this bug should be closed now.