Subject: bug#21699: 24.5; Bug in backup-buffer-copy and/or set-file-extended-attributes etc

From: Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 05:14:06 -0400

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 5:09 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 05:03:19 -0400
>> From: Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 4:23 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> >
>> > AFAIU, this means you don't have full access ("FA") to the file you
>> > are editing, and I guess that's why chmod fails.  If so, there's not
>> > much we can do about that.
>> >
>> > However, with set-file-extended-attributes fixed, backing up works
>> > again for you, is that right?
>>
>> Yes.  (On both.)
>
> OK, thanks.  Can we close this bug?

There's the issue of the `file-extended-attributes' fix (in the other
thread), and I think a possible leftover bad case.

>> >> I suspect that some of those ACL entries mean that my user is not
>> >> allowed to change the file.  In any case, the error that I got when I
>> >> played with it is:
>> >>
>> >> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Doing chmod" "permission
>> >> denied" "c:/eli/.backups/!drive_l!lambda!tmp!x~")
>> >>   set-file-modes("c:/eli/.backups/!drive_l!lambda!tmp!x~" 438)
>> >>   eval((set-file-modes "c:/eli/.backups/!drive_l!lambda!tmp!x~" 438) nil)
>> >
>> > Yes, I think your suspicion is correct.  (In general, I'd suggest to
>> > take ownership, from the Windows side, on all of the files on that
>> > Linux volume you are using from Windows.  IME, this avoids many
>> > problems with access denial from the Windows side.)
>>
>> Yeah, I didn't get to deal with that yet, and maybe will never since
>> this is a Win7 machine, and I think that on 10 these things changed.
>
> I don't have a Windows 10 system nearby to see if anything's changed
> in that regard.  Any pointers?

I didn't try to verify it yet, but I vaguely remember somewhere that
talked about making things less restricted by default, resolving the
problem of putting files on an external HD and changing the owner when
you want to use the drive in a different machine.  (Which is what I do
now, with a drive that gets populated on the win7 machine.)

-- 
                    ((x=>x(x))(x=>x(x)))                   Eli Barzilay:
                    http://barzilay.org/                   Maze is Life!