Subject: bug#21695: 25.0.50; Change most occurrences of `setq' in Emacs manual to `customize-set-variable'? Really?

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 23:38:19 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

I wrote

  > I have a feeling that most of those 462 with :set actually require
  > that people use customize-set-variable to set them in the init file.
  > I suspect that, for most of them, :set is meant to handle the case
  > where you change the setting once the feature is already in use.

but I meant to add "not".

  > I have a feeling that most of those 462 with :set don't actually require
  > that people use customize-set-variable to set them in the init file.
  > I suspect that, for most of them, :set is meant to handle the case
  > where you change the setting once the feature is already in use.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)