Subject: bug#21695: 25.0.50; Change most occurrences of `setq' in Emacs manual to `customize-set-variable'? Really?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2021 09:56:19 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:38:37 -0400
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
>   > Maybe calling setq during init time on automatically buffer-local
>   > variables should generate a warning.
> 
> Perhaps it should do that only if you're in the buffer that is
> current by default during the init files.
> 
> I think the basic idea of this warning is good.
> There are various possble ways to implement a warning,
> so it would be useful to look, now, for the best way.

That could be done, but let's please keep in mind that warnings shown
during startup are notoriously easy to miss, especially if your
startup sequence does a lot.  Those messages flush in the echo-area,
interspersed with a lot of informative messages from features that are
initialized at startup, and the only way to see them is to look in
*Messages* after startup, something that is unlikely to be done by a
lot of us.