Subject: Re: bug#21695: 25.0.50; Change most occurrences of `setq' in Emacs manual to `customize-set-variable'? Really?

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:38:37 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Namely, if a variable is marked to automatically become buffer-local
  > when set, then setq will only set it in the temporary buffer where
  > init.el is evaluated.

With those variables, you're supposed to use setq-default if your
aim is to change the default value.

  > Maybe calling setq during init time on automatically buffer-local
  > variables should generate a warning.

Perhaps it should do that only if you're in the buffer that is
current by default during the init files.

I think the basic idea of this warning is good.
There are various possble ways to implement a warning,
so it would be useful to look, now, for the best way.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)