Subject: Re: bug#21695: 25.0.50; Change most occurrences of `setq' in Emacs manual to `customize-set-variable'? Really?

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 23:23:49 -0400

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > Here's a way: after the init files finish, look at the value of the
  > > variable, and if it does not equal the default, and this value was not
  > > properly installed with the :set method, invoke that variable's :set
  > > method.

  > How would we know which variables to look at?

We would determine which variables could actually have a problem.

1. Get the list of variables that use :set.

2. For each of those variables, see if it is used in any source file
other than the one that contains the defcustom.  A script can do this.
Make a list of only those variables.

3. Now we have a much shorter list.  We could use the whole of that list.

4. Or we could check some of these variables by hand and see whether
we can prove some of them have no real problem.  That could make the
list shorter.

5. After the init files, we add code to check each of those variables.
If the current value != the default, set the variable again to the
same value using customize-set-variable.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)