Subject: bug#21675: closed (Re: bug#21675: Guix environment is incredibly slow when using Python2 packages)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 22:09:01 +0000

Your bug report

#21675: Guix environment is incredibly slow when using Python2 packages

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21675: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21675
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21675: Guix environment is incredibly slow when using Python2 packages
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Cyril Roelandt <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 00:07:55 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Fixed in commit b3e2a5a.

Let me know if you encounter similar problems again.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

Subject: Guix environment is incredibly slow when using Python2 packages
From: Cyril Roelandt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 23:31:02 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Let's look at the following command, which behaves as expected:

$ time guix environment --ad-hoc --pure python-pbr python-babel
python-iso8601 python-debtcollector python-netaddr python-oslo.config
python-oslo.i18n python-oslo.serialization python-oslo.utils
python-prettytable python-requests python-six python-stevedore
python-coverage python-discover python-fixtures python-keyring
python-lxml python-mock python-oauthlib python-oslotest python-pycrypto
python-requests-mock python-sphinx python-testrepository
python-testresources python-testtools python-webob python-bandit
python-setuptools python-pbr openssl python --exec="echo done"
done

real    0m5.043s
user    0m4.672s
sys     0m0.148s

Its Python2 counterpart is incredibly slow:

$ time guix environment --ad-hoc --pure python2-pbr python2-babel
python2-iso8601 python2-debtcollector python2-netaddr python2-oslo.config
python2-oslo.i18n python2-oslo.serialization python2-oslo.utils
python2-prettytable python2-requests python2-six python2-stevedore
python2-coverage python2-discover python2-fixtures
python2-keyring python2-lxml python2-mock python2-oauthlib
python2-oslotest python2-pycrypto python2-requests-mock
python2-sphinx python2-testrepository
python2-testresources python2-testtools python2-webob python2-bandit
python2-setuptools python2-pbr openssl python-2 --exec="echo done"
warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
done

real	9m16.557s
user	9m7.868s
sys	0m8.128s

This makes "guix environment" unusable with Python 2.

Cyril.