Subject: Re: bug#21669: 25.0.50; file-notify-tests failure on Fedora x86-64

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:31:29 +0200

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Paul,

> I'm not sure for the failure I already sent you since I've git pulled
> since then, but I just now reran the tests in master commit
> f6ece2420c3dc6f3dde06c7f8722f5b0b7e1ef4a (which postdates the commit
> you mention) and am still seeing intermittent failures.

Finally, I could fix it. Puhhh.

In fact, there were two problems:

- `write-region' fires in the local case just `created' and `changed'
  events.  In the remote case, it fires `created', `changed' and
  `attribute-changed' events. This is because Tramp calls internally
  `set-file-modes' on the newly created file.

- In the test case `file-notify-test02-events-remote' not all events did
  arrive in time, because there was a fast sequence `write-region',
  `set-file-modes', `delete-file'. So I had to introduce short
  `sleep-for' calls between those functions.

I've committed a fix for both problems (and for one unrelated error in
filenotify.el I found also). I've run file-notify-tests.el 20 times now,
no error again. Could you, pls, recheck?

Best regards, Michael.