Subject: bug#21662: 25.0.50; visible-bell causes display artifacts on OS X 10.11

From: Steve Purcell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:41:21 +1300

I'm using snapshot builds from emacsformacosx.com on my Macbook, and I
have `visible-bell' set to t. Since upgrading OS X from 10.10 to 10.11 I
see display artifacts: specifically, there appears to be no redraw after
the visible bell square flashes in the centre of the frame, so the frame
contents are left obscured or blurred.

I had initially noticed this with an older snapshot build, and have
verified that it still occurs using the latest snapshot (dated Oct
10).

Happy to provide further info upon request.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS appkit-1265.21 Version 10.9.5 (Build 13F1112))
 of 2015-10-10
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1404
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp''

Configured features:
ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US
  locale-coding-system: utf-8

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  elisp-slime-nav-mode: t
  redshank-mode: t
  aggressive-indent-mode: t
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  highlight-quoted-mode: t
  highlight-symbol-nav-mode: t
  highlight-symbol-mode: t
  diff-hl-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  bug-reference-prog-mode: t
  paredit-mode: t
  goto-address-prog-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  auto-compile-on-load-mode: t
  auto-compile-on-save-mode: t
  auto-compile-mode: t
  ipretty-mode: t
  global-rinari-mode: t
  guide-key-mode: t
  hes-mode: t
  global-page-break-lines-mode: t
  page-break-lines-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  global-whitespace-cleanup-mode: t
  whitespace-cleanup-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  recentf-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-prettify-symbols-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Desktop: 26.79ms to restore nil
Desktop: 24.35ms to restore nil
Wrote /Users/steve/.emacs.d/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 1 frame, 72 buffers restored.
Desktop restored in 12698.73ms
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Evaluating...
t
Quit [3 times]
Press key for agenda command:

Load-path shadows:
/Users/steve/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20151009.1117/helm-multi-match hides /Users/steve/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-core-20151009.905/helm-multi-match
/Users/steve/.emacs.d/elpa/emms-20150810.832/tq hides /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail mail-utils smex cal-iso diary-lib
diary-loaddefs hl-line org-agenda gitconfig-mode conf-mode mmm-sample
mmm-mode mmm-univ mmm-class smerge-mode tidy css-eldoc
css-eldoc-hash-table css-mode yaml-mode markdown-mode cursor-sensor
js2-imenu-extras js2-mode sql-indent sql package-build mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode checkdoc cap-words superword subword robe url-http
tls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars mailcap tabify view rainbow-mode color
org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus gnus-util
org-docview doc-view image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m
ob-sqlite ob-sh shell ob-ruby ob-python ob-octave ob-ledger ob-latex
ob-gnuplot ob-dot ob-ditaa ob-R org-clock org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs mmm-erb mmm-region mmm-utils
tagedit sgml-mode json-mode json-reformat json-snatcher js cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs
diff-hl-dired dired-sort dired+ image-dired format-spec image-file
dired-x dired-aux dired disp-table vc-git vc-darcs xml flycheck-package
lisp-mnt flycheck find-func subr-x flymake elisp-slime-nav etags xref
project redshank skeleton aggressive-indent rainbow-delimiters
highlight-quoted highlight-symbol diff-hl vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher
diff-mode bug-reference paredit-everywhere paredit goto-addr init
init-locales init-local session sanityinc-tomorrow-bright-theme
color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow autoinsert cus-start cus-load server
jka-compr init-ledger init-dash init-misc init-common-lisp
init-clojure-cider init-clojure init-slime init-lisp cl-lib-highlight
auto-compile packed ipretty pp init-paredit init-sql init-rails rinari
json jump inflections findr ruby-compilation which-func imenu pcomplete
inf-ruby compile comint ansi-color ruby-mode smie init-ruby-mode derived
init-elm init-haskell init-python-mode init-haml init-css init-html
init-nxml init-org init-php init-javascript easy-mmode init-erlang
erlang-start init-csv init-markdown init-textile init-crontab
init-compile init-github init-git init-darcs init-vc init-editing-utils
guide-key s ucs-normalize popwin dash highlight-escape-sequences
whole-line-or-region page-break-lines delsel cua-base paren undo-tree
diff whitespace-cleanup-mode whitespace autorevert filenotify elec-pair
init-mmm mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-compat init-fonts init-sessions savehist
desktop frameset init-windows windmove switch-window quail winner ring
init-auto-complete auto-complete-config auto-complete popup
init-hippie-expand init-ido ido-ubiquitous ido-completing-read+ ido seq
init-recentf recentf tree-widget wid-edit init-flycheck init-ibuffer
ibuf-macs init-uniquify init-grep init-isearch diminish anzu thingatpt
init-dired init-gui-frames init-osx-keys edmacro kmacro init-themes
init-xterm init-frame-hooks init-exec-path exec-path-from-shell
init-elpa fullframe finder-inf eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra help-mode cconv eieio-core rx cl-macs slime-autoloads info
package easymenu epg-config init-site-lisp cl-seq cl gv cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib init-utils init-compat init-benchmarking advice time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1076507 477227)
 (symbols 48 57378 0)
 (miscs 40 7194 9146)
 (strings 32 159666 250836)
 (string-bytes 1 4581130)
 (vectors 16 113288)
 (vector-slots 8 1498997 875754)
 (floats 8 1030 1234)
 (intervals 56 30825 2420)
 (buffers 976 93))