Subject: 24.5; mh-e keeps trying to open urls

From: Simon Gerraty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 10:03:17 -0700

I've used MH and Emacs to read the insane quatitites of mail I get
for many years.

With latest upgrade, I now get rubbish like:

Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 443 ...

Which I certainly do not want (else I'd be using a browser to read mail).
^G won't stop it and a 2nd ^G makes emacs want to core dump!

After googling a bit I set

(setq starttls-use-gnutls nil)
(setq mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext"))

but it is still doing it.

How do I tell Emacs that under absolutely no circumstances do I want it
to do this?

I can remove gnutls-cli, but then it falls back to openssl - which I
cannot remove.

Thanks
--sjg

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64--netbsd)
 of 2015-07-10 on amd64-nb61
Configured using:
 `configure --srcdir=/work/editors/emacs24-nox11/work/emacs-24.5
 --localstatedir=/var --without-dbus --without-m17n-flt --without-otf
 --without-rsvg --without-x --without-xft --without-gif --without-jpeg
 --without-png --without-tiff --without-xpm --prefix=/usr/pkg
 --build=x86_64--netbsd --host=x86_64--netbsd --infodir=/usr/pkg/info
 --mandir=/usr/pkg/man 'CFLAGS=-O2 -I/usr/include' 'CPPFLAGS=-DTERMINFO
 -I/usr/include' 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/lib -Wl,-R/usr/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: MH-Folder

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  mh-showing-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Wrote /homes/sjg/Mail/drafts/3192
Sending...backgrounded
Processing deletes and refiles for +inbox...done
Opening TLS connection to `www.lecorpioondemand.net'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 443 www.lecorpioondemand.net'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 443 www.lecorpioondemand.net --protocols ssl3'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `openssl s_client -connect www.lecorpioondemand.net:443 -no_ssl2 -ign_eof'...failed
Opening TLS connection to `www.lecorpioondemand.net'...failed
Quit
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/homes/sjg/lisp/faces hides /usr/pkg/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/faces
/homes/sjg/lisp/rst hides /usr/pkg/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/pkg/share/emacs/site-lisp/ispell/ispell hides /usr/pkg/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/textmodes/ispell

Features:
(shadow sort warnings emacsbug help-mode mule-util parse-time vc-cvs
add-log shell pcomplete grep compile vc-dispatcher vc-hg sh-script smie
executable rect network-stream starttls url-http tls url-gw url-auth
url-queue gnus-html browse-url xml url-cache mm-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra cconv eieio-core url-vars diff-mode easy-mmode python-mode
comint ansi-color ring dired flow-fill misearch multi-isearch cc-langs
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs mh-alias crm ispell mh-thread mh-identity mh-letter
mh-comp qp mm-archive smiley mail-extr mh-mime mh-gnus mh-show goto-addr
thingatpt gnus-cite gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime
smime password-cache dig mailcap gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo
nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int message sendmail
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win
gnus-range gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
mh-seq mh-inc hl-line mh-tool-bar tool-bar mh-xface mh-utils mh-folder
which-func imenu easymenu gnus-util time-date mh-scan mh-e regexp-opt
mh-compat mailabbrev mh-acros cl-macs cl gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib
mh-buffers mh-loaddefs advice help-fns time image tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 656969 442054)
 (symbols 48 32268 0)
 (miscs 40 1286 4172)
 (strings 32 144770 86862)
 (string-bytes 1 2087681)
 (vectors 16 26619)
 (vector-slots 8 1209012 50622)
 (floats 8 284 595)
 (intervals 56 62208 33487)
 (buffers 960 78))

-- 
Thanks
--sjg

#include <disclaimer>   /* imagine something _very_ witty here */