Subject: bug#21650: fix should be underneath MH-E

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 17:34:27 -0500

Katsumi Yamaoka wrote:

>>> But MIME libraries are documented as general-purpose, rather than
>>> private to Gnus. So this really ought to be resolved at the mm layer,
>>> rather than adding renderer-specific tweaks to MH-E.
>
>> Sounds absolutely right.
>
> The first step should be anyway to fix mh-cl-flet[1], recompile
> mh-e, and see how the behaviors change, I think.

I don't see how that's relevant to this issue.
mm-shr _always_ consults gnus-inhibit-images and gnus-blocked-images,
using them to override shr-inhibit-images and shr-blocked-images.
If mm-shr is supposed to be a general purpose facility for use by things
other than Gnus (?), this seems obviously wrong.
Surely Gnus should make whatever buffer-local shr-related settings it
needs in its Gnus buffers, and the MH-E folks can do the same, rather
than hard-coding Gnus-specific behavior in mm-shr?

(I'd actually say that the use of mh-cl-flet in mh-display-emphasis
seems like the wrong solution as well. MH-E should rather have asked
Gnus to provide an option so that article-emphasize can do what they
want.)