Subject: bug#21649: 25.0.50; [PATCH] Allow M-x man to reuse an existing window

From: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 12:30:35 +0100

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:
> Maybe we could add something like ‘display-buffer-reuse-mode-window’ to
> window.el.  In that case I'd proceed as follows:
>
> (1) The frame(s) to scan for a suitable window should be determined by a
> ‘reusable-frames’ entry just as in ‘display-buffer-reuse-window’.
>
> (2) Allow to specify the desired (parent) mode via an ALIST ‘mode’
> entry.  As value we could allow a single mode or a list of modes.  Then
> a window showing a buffer in the same mode as the buffer we want to
> display should maybe given preference to a window showing a buffer in
> another mode, derived from the same parent mode.  If a same-mode-window
> exists on another and a derived-mode-window exists on the selected
> frame, one of these should be given preference consistently.

Looks ok ! I'll give it a try and provide a patch based on your
suggestion.

>         BTW, I have no idea from where you get ‘seq-some-p’.  Did you
> compile your patched man.el with emacs -Q?

It is from seq.el, but apparently it was a slightly out of date emacs
build. From the ChangeLog:

ChangeLog.2:    Rename seq-some-p to seq-some and seq-contains-p to seq-contains

Nico.