Subject: Re: bug#21640: 25.0.50; Fontset-font is never scaled

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 07:43:15 +0100

Artur Malabarba <[email-masked]> writes:

> Anyway, the matter is more complicated then I initially thought. Even
> on Ubuntu it doesn't work on every Symbola character.
> For instance, I can get it to work with the "MATHEMATICAL
> DOUBLE-STRUCK DIGIT ____" family. If I inspect the char I get this
> description:
>     xft:-unknown-Symbola-normal-normal-semicondensed-*-50-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1
> (#x14CD)
>
> But it doesn't seem to work with anything from the "SMILING FACE WITH
> ___" family.
>     xft:-unknown-Symbola-normal-normal-semicondensed-*-16-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1
> (#x18FA)

I tried reproducing this (starting from -Q), but I'm not sure whether
I'm doing it right.  First I evaled:

(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" nil
                  (font-spec :size 80 :name "Unifont Upper"))

Then inserted SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES AND THREE HEARTS (which
uses that font), and I got:

    ftcrhb:-PfEd-Unifont Upper-normal-normal-normal-*-80-*-*-*-d-0-iso10646-1 (#x2886)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES AND THREE HEARTS

So it seems to work for me.  Has this bug gone away in the meanwhile, or
are you still seeing it?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no