Subject: bug#21634: 24.5; Suggested improvement

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 17:58:44 +0300

> From: Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 08:04:03 -0400
> 
> Would it make sense to implement `text-scale-adjust' as follows?  One
> minor change is using the `keep-pred' argument to avoid re-setting the
> map repeatedly, but the important change is having it timeout after a
> few seconds.  This avoids the kind of mode-ish interaction that feels
> weird in Emacs.

FWIW, such modus operandi always annoys me.  Why should I be under
pressure to do whatever is needed to prevent the setting from being
reset?

I don't really understand what's the problem with "mode-ish
operation", feel free to elaborate.

If there's demand for resetting the size, I guess we could have it as
optional behavior.

> In fact, I find this useful in other cases too (a command that allows
> you to resize the current window with the arrow keys), so I think that
> it's useful to either add an additional timeout argument -- or perhaps
> an extension where `keep-pred' can be a number of seconds and will do
> the timeout thing.

The user can always scale the size back when she wants, right?  Or am
I missing something?