Subject: 25.0.50; Python mode hangs

From: Torsten Bronger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 03:31:15 +0200

If you open a file called emacs_test.py with the following content:

"""
.
"""

(i.e., just a docstring), and you try to insert a character at the dot,
Emacs enters an infinite loop and hangs.  For reproducing this, you must
not give the filename at the command line, but open the file after Emacs
was started.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2015-10-06
Repository revision: d62f03393ba7cc971017b65b9c9fc899c4fe90f4
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading desktop...done
Loading time...done
Loading savehist...done
Preparing diary...
No diary entries for Tuesday, 6 October 2015: Simchat Torah
Preparing diary...done
Appointment reminders enabled
No event to add
No desktop file.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/textmodes/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst
~/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode
mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-seq postscript-sli yaml-mode dockerfile-mode
derived rx sh-script smie executable dired-x vc-dispatcher vc-bzr
org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus gnus-util
org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org-agenda ob-python org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle
ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval
org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func server cl-macs
w3m browse-url doc-view jka-compr dired image-mode w3m-hist w3m-fb
bookmark-w3m w3m-ems wid-edit w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc
w3m-util rst compile comint ansi-color ring browse-kill-ring mmm-mode
mmm-univ mmm-class mmm-region mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-utils mmm-compat cl
gv bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai
cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs preview prv-emacs info reporter latex
easy-mmode edmacro kmacro tex-style tex-buf tex dbus xml advice
autorevert filenotify tex-site auto-loads savehist time desktop frameset
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib delsel cus-start cus-load finder-inf
adaptive-wrap-autoloads package easymenu epg-config time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 263415 8741)
 (symbols 48 38649 0)
 (miscs 40 89 134)
 (strings 32 73537 9667)
 (string-bytes 1 2189409)
 (vectors 16 28431)
 (vector-slots 8 614549 3796)
 (floats 8 849 123)
 (intervals 56 294 0)
 (buffers 976 13)
 (heap 1024 23293 1460))

-- 
Torsten Bronger    Jabber ID: [email-masked]