Subject: bug#21624: closed (Re: bug#21624: Syntax weirdness lately)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 22:04:03 +0000

Your bug report

#21624: Syntax weirdness lately

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21624: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21624
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21624: Syntax weirdness lately
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 17:03:31 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I don't see how anything can be done with this report as it stands, so
given that it's been a year I'm closing it. Feel free to reopen, or make
a new report, if there is something more substantive to say.

Subject: Syntax weirdness lately
From: Daniel Colascione <[email-masked]>
To: bug-emacs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 12:47:01 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In latest master, syntax-propertize application seems to be buggy in a
way I can't readily reproduce or analyze.

Consider this bit of shell:

                elif [[ $c = '\' ]]; then
                    state=word-backslash

Sometimes, unreproducibly of course, we don't close the string at the
trailing
single quotation mark, and the rest of the buffer ends up being a
string, at least up until the single quotation mark. A similar problem
in Python sometimes leads to Python inflooping in buffers containing
strings triple-quoted with single quotation marks: it appears that we
interpret "'''" as just an empty single-quoted string, followed by a
single-quoted opener.

Did we change something about how complex syntax rules work lately?
Revision history doesn't point to anything.