Subject: bug#21623: 25.0.50; Another font memory leak

From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 12:37:20 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> (I'm going through old bug reports that have unfortunately not gotten
> any responses.)

Thank you very much for doing that

> That bug was fixed, I think, so the workaround wasn't necessary any
> more?  Are you still seeing memory leaks in this area?

I'm not using the lucid terminal anymore, so I'm not seeing this, but
I'm certain it's still an issue. The fix to 18403 WAS the workaround
that leaks memory (without the workaround emacs was crashing).

The commit that fixes 18403 by introducing a memory leak:

  commit 80465f41d7fc67d40f0a233504e295b127ad2c6b
  Author: Dmitry Antipov <[email-masked]>
  Date:   Tue Sep 9 07:22:36 2014 +0400

      * xterm.c (x_term_init): Consolidate duplicated code.
      [USE_LUCID]: Revert 2014-04-02 change (Bug#18403).  Add comment.
      (x_delete_terminal): Do not close X connection fd (Bug#18403).
      Add eassert and mark dpyinfo as dead only if it was alive.

When I was looking at this I wrote some tools to aid in debugging. The
blog post that describes these tools talks about this memory leak:

  http://notes.secretsauce.net/notes/2015/10/05_memory-leak-debugging-tools.html