Subject: bug#21620: tests/mpz/reuse intermittently fails on armhf-linux-gnu

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 09:39:38 -0400

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 07, 2015 at 08:45:09AM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> When used as a build slave, the Novena is prone to overheating.  The
>> best solution is to add a fan.  In the meantime, I've disabled 2 out of
>> the 4 cores on hydra-slave1 using the following commands:
>
> Which temperature is overheating?

I don't remember.  All I remember is that my Novena used to crash a lot
while doing builds, and I found a Novena forum where several users
reported overheating and the developers acknowledged the problem.  Some
users have added a fan, and there are discussions on how best to do it.

There was talk of adding automatic CPU throttling to the kernel.  I
think that work may already be done on one of the novena kernel branches
(maybe 3.19?).

I found that with only two cores enabled, the Novena became stable as a
build slave.

> It is a pity to sacrifice half of the build power!

Indeed, that's why I said that the best solution is to add a fan.

> Why not use three cores?

I tried reducing to three cores, but found that it still overheated
while doing parallel builds.

     Mark