Subject: Re: bug#21612: 24.5; Configuration variable to delete auto-save file when intentionally killing buffer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 18:40:40 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hmm... bother.  If the new variable kill-buffer-delete-auto-save-files
> is non-nil, we ask the user even if we eventually don't delete the
> auto-save file, for example if auto-save-visited-mode is in effect.
> Is that TRT?

If that's the case, it's a bug.  I'll have a look at this tomorrow.

(Hm...  and the code should check whether the auto-save file actually
exists, not just `recent-auto-save-p' -- the user may have deleted the
auto-save file manually.)

> Also, I'd bet people would like to be able to delete them without any
> questions asked, so maybe the variable should be a tristate, not a
> boolean?

I think that's too dangerous, really, so I'd rather not.  But if others
feel strongly that that should be a feature, I wouldn't oppose it.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no