Subject: bug#21612: 24.5; Configuration variable to delete auto-save file when intentionally killing buffer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 23:55:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> The condition I emphasized above should be reversed, because it means
> the buffer _is_ modified, whereas according to the comment we need to
> test that it _isn't_.  Right?

I...  think so.

> And second, I think the condition before it should be changed to say
>
>       && BUF_SAVE_MODIFF (b) <= BUF_AUTOSAVE_MODIFF (b)
>
> I see no reason to reject the situation where the two are equal.  Come
> to think of this, I don't see why we need this last condition at all.

Me neither.

Since this code (in its current state) seems to mean that we never
delete auto-save files when killing buffers, I think we should change
the documented effect of `delete-auto-save-files' to be what it does
now:

----
Non-nil means delete auto-save file when a buffer is saved.
----

Then delete the bit in `kill-buffer' that tries to act on that variable,
and then introduce the new variable previously discussed in this bug
report.

The two things (deleting auto-save file when saving a file and killing a
buffer) do not seem to be very related functionality, so having one
variable for both things is just confusing.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no