Subject: bug#21612: 24.5; Configuration variable to delete auto-save file when intentionally killing buffer

From: Marcus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 19:53:05 +0200

> On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 16:51:12 +0200
> > From: Marcus <[email-masked]>
> >
> > This might even be useful default behavior.

> People sometimes answer YES by mistake.

Isn't that why the "Modified buffers exist" question is yes/no rather than
y/n?

> I guess it could be OK as an option for people who like to live
dangerously.

I do, and have so far implemented the functionality as (not with an option,
I don't know how):
(add-hook 'kill-buffer-hook 'delete-auto-save-file-if-necessary)
(add-hook 'kill-emacs-hook 'delete-auto-save-file-if-necessary)

If I figure out how to have this controlled by an option, where (and how)
would I send a patch request?

BTW, is my mailing list etiquette (formatting of replies etc.) acceptable?
This is my first bug report to a free software project.