Subject: bug#21582: 25.0.50; WindowsXP GEN ../../info/elisp.info in @synindex.Uninown index `cp' and/or `fn

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 08:32:47 +0300

> Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:12:25 -0700
> From: Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>
> 
> I am learning how to build Emacs on WindowsXP and have encountered the following error when trying to build the most recent master branch / trunk:
> 
> The first problem I had was with `./autogen.sh`, which was fixed by running:
> 
> dos2unix configure.ac

Did you install Git for Windows with EOL conversion option set to
_anything_ but "checkout as-is, commit as-is"?  If so, please
reconfigure your Git to use that.  To that effect, please _remove_
from your .gitconfig files (there might be more than one) _any_
settings of the following variables:

  core.eol
  core.safecrlf
  core.autocrlf

Then remove your Emacs Git repository and re-clone it again.

The upshot of all that is to have the EOL format of each file in the
repository exactly as it is on a Unix system.  That is the only sane
way of using Git on Windows for a project that supports multiple
platforms and includes files with both Unix-style and DOS-style EOLs
in the repository.

> Then, I configured with just the basic:
> 
> ./configure --prefix=/c/docume~1/lawlist/desktop/trunk
> 
> Everything appeared to be going well and I though I was near the end of the `make` process, but then I received the following error:
> 
> ***
> Scanning ./url for finder
> Scanning ./vc for finder
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/docume~1/lawlist/desktop/emacs/lisp'
> make info-real info-dir
> make[1]: Entering directory `/c/docume~1/lawlist/desktop/emacs'
> make -C doc/lispref info
> make[2]: Entering directory `/c/docume~1/lalwist/desktop/emacs/doc/lispref'
> /bin/mkdir -p ../../info
> GEN ../../info/elisp.info
> ' in @synindex.Uninown index `cp' and/or `fn
> ' in @synindex.Uninown index `vr' and/or `fn
> ' in @synindex.Uninown index `ky' and/or `fn
> ' in @synindex.Uninown index `pg' and/or `fn
> make[2]: *** [../../info/elisp.info] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/docume~1/lawlist/desktop/emacs/doc/lispref'
> make[1]: *** [lispref-info] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/docume~1/lawlist/desktop/emacs'
> make:  *** [info] Error 2

I'm guessing this is the result of the same problem with EOL format:
the Texinfo source files in doc/lispref/*.texi have DOS CRLF EOL
format, but your 'makeinfo' utility is from MSYS and expects Unix
EOLs.  Note how the closing ' character is displayed at the beginning
of the line, instead of being after `fn -- that's because there's a CR
character after `fn.