Subject: bug#21571: [patches] some small message improvements

From: Benno Schulenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2015 18:24:43 +0200

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015, at 13:26, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> <http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap11.html#tag_11_02_03>
> 
>  [...]  If ONLRET is set, the NL character is assumed to do the
> carriage-return function; [...] Otherwise, the NL character is
> assumed to do just the line-feed function; [...]

This wording seems to faintly suggest that ONLRET is meant to
cause NL to do /also/ CR besides doing NL.  Is that whjat is
meant?

Or does it just mean that when ONLRET is set that the receiving
end will do also a CR when a LF is received?  The tty doesn't do
any conversion, it just has to be aware that sending a LF causes
also a CR in order to be able to line things up properly?

Benno

-- 
http://www.fastmail.com - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an
                          unladen european swallow